Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins. 

Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth. 

But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves. -Goodreads.com


*Received via NetGalley, Random House Children's Pub., and Ann Brashares for review*

This book caught my attention from the very beginning. It's an interesting idea, fleeing a horrible future to live in the past because there is just no where else left to go. 

As far as the characters go, I really liked Ethan, he's like the perfect guy, sweet, funny, attractive, and smart! I liked Prenna too, although she had moments where I really just didn't understand her.

I hated Prenna's mom though. She's a horrible mom, and yet Prenna is all forgiving and makes excuses for why she acts the way she does. Her mom and all the other adults are cowards in my opinion. 

There is so much tension between Prenna and Ethan. And it's sweet and sad at the same time. 

I really wonder if this is going to be a stand alone book or if there's another one? I would read a sequel to this, cause I feel there are still so many questions not answered. 

My only complaint is that I really don't like the cover. I find it kind of bland and not very eye-catching. Although, I know I should judge a book based on it's cover!

1 comment:

  1. I got this one through Netgalley and I am looking forward to finally reading it! Good review, thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete