Monday, July 8, 2013

Clockwise by Elle Strauss

*This book was received via NetGalley and All Night Reads for an honest review.*

Casey is a time-traveler and has more issues than the average teenager, especially when she accidentally time travels with her crush, Nate, to the 1860's. She lies and says they are brother and sister in order to keep up with the social protocol of the times, but she is completely in love with him, and sometimes thinks that the feelings might be mutual?

At first I found this book a little hard to get into and kind of boring, but I feel that about a 1/4 of the way through it really picked up and I really enjoyed it. I thought the story was fun and fast paced after it got going, and I always love a good complicated romance!

I really like how both realms, the past and the present are both interesting and Casey has a lot going on in both of her "lives". It sounds weird but it made it feel more realistic, rather then her having a super boring life in the present and then going back in time to have some kick-ass alter-ego.

There was a lot of racial stuff in this book, with a good portion of it taking place in the 1860's, right before the Civil War, it is understandable. I thought it was really interesting how the author played that into the book of how things were so different in this country a little over a hundred years ago, and well, just even 50 years ago.

There is nothing right in the thought that one race should have rights of ownership over another. Or that people shouldn't be allowed together just because of their skin colors. And now I find it strange to think of why people ever thought that that was acceptable.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, it made for a fast, fun read. I think it would be a nice book to bring along on vacation for a nice light read. This book is part of a series of books too, although, I'm really not sure yet whether I'll keep reading, since I kind of like where the story left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment