Tuesday, December 31, 2013

End of Year Book Survey!

I saw this end of year survey on AnnaReads blog, ( if you're not following her, then you should @ www.annareads.com/), and it looked like lots of fun so I'm giving it a try. 

This survey is courtesy of AnnaReads via The Perpetual Page-Turner (http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/).

1.       Best Book you read in 2013?- I will probably have to say Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, since it’s the final book in the trilogy and there is just something amazing about all the loose ends finally coming together in one spectacular finale.

2.       Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr- This book is just right up my alley as far as genre, but it fell way short of my expectations and most of all I just didn’t click with the characters. Also, Ignite by Erica Crouch, with a book about angels and demons, I had way higher expectations for the story.

3.       Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013?- Graceling by Kristin Cashore. This book had only been on my to-read shelf for what seemed like forever. I finally got annoyed of skipping over it and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

4.       Book you read in 2013 that you recommend to people most in 2013? Divergent by Veronica Roth. I was a latecomer to this book, but I kept asking people, have you read this???

5.       Best series you discovered in 2013? I’ve only read Bitten by Kelley Armstrong but I’m looking forward to reading the next in the series, Stolen.

6.       Favorite new author you discovered in 2013? This is a 3-way tie between Veronica Roth, Kelley Armstrong, and Kristin Cashore

7.       Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? Apocalyptic Organ Grinder by William Todd Rose. This year was the 1st year I really tried to expand my reading (majority of the books I tried I gave up on within the 1st 50 pages), but this short story was actually pretty good.

8.       Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?- I would probably have to say Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, since I devoured that book. Haha.

9.       Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?  The Infernal Devices Trilogy by Cassandra Clare

10.   Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013? Ignite by Erica Crouch. Even thought I didn’t enjoy this book, I loved the cover.


1










1





11.  Most memorable character in 2013? Katniss Everdeen  from The Hunger Games.

12.   Most beautifully written book read in 2013? Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters or Green Heart by Alice Hoffman.

13.   Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?- Both Sides Now by Shawn Inmon. A great true love story.

14.   Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Divergent by Veronica Roth

15.   Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013? “The frightened walk away when love is difficult. I know that now. You have to be willing to give everything away. You have to be willing to end up with nothing. Only then will your heart be whole.” Green Heart by Alice Hoffman

16.   Shortest & longest book you read in 2013? - Finding the shortest is hard, since I read so many books on my kindle this year, but it’s probably either Kidnapped the Wrong Sister by Marie Kelly or Apocalyptic Organ Grinder by William Todd Rose. The longest is The Books of Fell by M.E. Kerr at 608 pages. (but then again that is 3 books put into 1 book).

17.   Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about? ( a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.) Be careful of spoilers!- The end of Clockwork Princess.

18.   Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013? (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)- Phineas and Gene in A Separate Peace by John Knowles.  This is a re-read, but I always love their friendship. Also, Jem and Will from Clockwork Princess, the love they have for each other is something that you don’t find often.

19.   Favorite book read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously? Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare.

20.   Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else? The Giver by Lois Lowry. My husband doesn’t read many books, but he told me that I would like this one. He was absolutely right!

21.   Genre you read the most from in 2013? Young adult

22.   Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013? Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games and Prince Po from Graceling.

23.   Best 2013 debut you read? The Blood of Whispers by Devin Madson.

24.   Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013? Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I just loved this world!

25.   Book that was the most fun to read in 2013? I read a lot of manga as filler this year, and I really enjoyed that. It really helped me move on between books and to not get bored. My two favorite mangas to read are Naruto and Death Note.

26.   Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013? Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare and A Separate Peace by John Knowles. The endings of both these books are both bitter sweet.


27.   Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out? The Everworld Series by K.A. Applegate. I love this series, but I know so few people who have read it, and that makes me sad, cause it’s amazing, and in my opinion so much better than her Animorph’s series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment