Saturday, May 31, 2014

Catch a Falling Star by Kim Culbertson

Nothing ever happens in Little, CA. Which is just the way Carter Moon likes it. But when Hollywood arrives to film a movie starring former child star turned PR mess Adam Jakes, everything changes. Carter's town becomes a giant glittery set and, much to her annoyance, everyone is starry-eyed for Adam. Carter seems to be the only girl not falling all over herself to get a glimpse of him. Which apparently makes her perfect for the secret offer of a lifetime: playing the role of Adam's girlfriend while he's in town, to improve his public image, in exchange for a hefty paycheck. Her family really needs the money and so Carter agrees. But it turns out Adam isn't at all who she thought he was. As they grow closer, their relationship walks a blurry line between what's real and what's fake, and Carter must open her eyes to the scariest of unexplored worlds - her future. Can Carter figure out what she wants out of life AND get the guy? Or are there no Hollywood endings in real life?

*A Big Thanks to Netgalley, Scholastic, and Kim Culbertson*


At first I was a little wary of this book. It took me a little bit to start to like the characters, but when I did, everything just clicked for me and I really enjoyed this book. 

I think what I was turned off by at first was the Adam Jakes character, and in my mind I automatically equated him to someone like Justin Bieber. And I was not thrilled to read a whole book that made me think of someone that I view as an entitled douche. As the story went on though he became his own persona in my mind, and I actually came to like his character, all flaws included. 

I really liked Carter though, and I liked reading a book where the girl didn't feel fake or like the only thing she cares about is finding a guy to love her. I love books where I feel completely different about the characters in the end. 


No comments:

Post a Comment