Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Shadowhunters Codex by Cassandra Clare and Joshua Lewis

The Clave is pleased to announce the newest edition of the Nephilim’s oldest and most famous training manual: the Shadowhunter’s Codex. Since the thirteenth century, the Codex has been the young Shadowhunter’s best friend. When you’re being swarmed by demons it can be easy to forget the finer points of obscure demon languages or the fastest way to stop an attack of Raum demons. With the Codex by your side, you never have to worry. 

Now in its twenty-seventh edition, the Codex covers it all: the history and the laws of our world; how to identify, interact with, and if necessary, kill that world’s many colorful denizens; which end of the stele is the end you write with. No more will your attempt to fight off rogue vampires and warlocks be slowed by the need to answer endless questions from your new recruits: What is a Pyxis? Why don’t we use guns? If I can’t see a warlock’s mark, is there a polite way to ask him where it is? Where do we get all our holy water? Geography, History, Magic, and Zoology textbook all rolled into one, the Codex is here to help new Shadowhunters navigate the beautiful, often brutal world that we inhabit. 

- Goodreads.com


I was so disappointed by this companion book. I didn't expect it to be way better than Cassandra Clare's other books, but I did expect it to have more new information into The Mortal Instruments series. There was nothing new in this. If you've read the books, including The Infernal Devices trilogy, then none of this supposedly secret and heavily guarded information is new. 

I absolutely hated the way this was written also. I was thinking that since it's an ancient codex that the writing would be different, more "smart" and textbook like maybe. This felt really rushed, stupid, and sloppy. I think the only way I would have enjoyed this is if I'd read it when I was way younger, and before I'd finished the majority of the books. (I only have the sixth TMI book left, City of Heavenly Fire, which won't be released until the end of this upcoming May). 

Overall, my vote is just to skip this book and read Clare's other works. This was just a waste of time for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment