Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Blood of Whisperers by Devin Madson

They call him the Usurper.

A man of common blood sits on the throne. At his command the last emperor was executed, but now the empire is on the brink of war.
Vengeance is coming.
Endymion is an Empath. He was born with the ability to feel another’s emotions and reach inside their hearts for their deepest secrets. Often despised, he lives a nomadic existence, but when he finds himself imprisoned for sorcery and facing death, it is his past that will condemn him. Born Prince Takehiko Otako, the only surviving son of the True Emperor, Endymion is already caught in the brewing storm. Fast losing control of his Empathy, he seeks revenge against the man who betrayed him, but for Endymion the truth will come too late.- Goodreads

I want to thank Devin Madson, Cloudburst books, and Goodreads for sending me this book to read and review!

I have to admit that my emotions switched around with this book in the beginning. I first started off super excited to read it. It was finally a book that I won that I really wanted, and probably would have ended up buying, just because the synopsis had me very interested. When I first started reading though, I was kind of annoyed that the point-of-view of the story switched between characters. I don't like when the point-of-view switches in a book, but I think that's more due to the fact that a lot of authors don't know how to correctly tell a story through multiple characters and have it turn out well written or understandable.

I'm so glad that I continued through my brief spot annoyance with this novel though, because I really enjoyed it! I even ended up liking the switching of point-of-view even. Devin Madson writes a story that is hard to stop reading once it's got you hooked (for me that was around page 70ish). Everything starts picking up and I had to just keep reading to see what was going to happen.

This book reminded me of the writing style of David Gemmell, and I think people who enjoyed his work (I've only read Ghost King and Last Sword of Power), would really enjoy this book. They both share a similar theme of the rightful heir regaining their crown and kingdom.


My only caution with this book would be that it does contain an awful lot of blood and killing,but then again it's a book about the fight for power, so people aren't going to be throwing flowers and lollipops at each other....actually lollipops would probably hurt....

No comments:

Post a Comment